Commissioner, Lacey Historical Commission, May 2017 – present
- Review nominations to the Lacey Register of Historic Places
- Work with other commissioners to conserve places and properties of historic significance
- Plan events, activities, and projects
Instructor, GHF Online, Jan 2015 – present
- Develop & teach environmental science classes to 7-12 year olds from around the world
- Classes include: Introduction to Planet Earth; Welcome to the Biosphere; Ecosystems of the World; Environmental History in the U.S.; Beyond the Harry Potter Universe: Science, Languages, and More.
Owner, Master Minds Tutoring & Mentoring Services, Sept 2012 – present
- Provide tutoring services in science, math, writing, geography, and study skills
- Provide mentoring to neurodiverse youth, young women, and women in science
- Manage business affairs including marketing, budget, etc.
Legislative Chair & Outreach Specialist, GHF: Gifted Homeschoolers Forum, July 2008 – present
- Manage legislative committee of this international nonprofit
- Co-authored published paper on neurodiversity and education; presented to members of Congress
- Prepared and provided testimony for the Oregon State Senate Education Committee on gifted education and dual enrollment
- Prepare and present conference sessions & outreach materials on education & neurodiversity issues for a variety of live and online venues around the world.
- Includes writing, blogging, presentations, and representing GHF at events.
- Coordinate event logistics, budgeting, and departmental tasks
Vice-Chair, Thurston County Young Democrats, Dec 2016 – June 2017
- Outreach to elected officials to arrange meetings, lobby on specific issues
- Assist chair with preparation for meetings, develop agenda, etc
- Managed social media – boosted average Facebook reach by 50%
Senior Coordinator, Masters of Environmental Studies Association, Feb 2015 – June 2016
Organized student events including 2015 and 2016 Rachel Carson Forums: managed budgets; hired speakers; arranged location & media services, advertising, sponsor outreach, event tabling, supervising graphic design
Environmental Policy Intern, League of Women Voters of WA, Nov 2015 – March 2016
- Attend and report back on hearings, work sessions, and meetings of WA State House and -Senate committees and workgroups
- Attend and participate in meetings with legislators
Greenhouse Gas Emissions Analyst, Thurston Climate Action Team, Oct 2014 – May 2015
- Analyzed data on greenhouse gas emissions from Thurston County and its incorporated areas.
- Produced and presented report on emissions data between 2010-2013, including trends and opportunities for reduction.
Founding Member, Southern Oregon Climate Action Now (SOCAN), Sept 2012 – June 2014
- Participated in general & committee meetings & attended legislative outreach activities.
- Presented on climate change in a variety of venues.
- Participated in Writing Corps, writing/submitting letters to local and regional newspapers.
- Researched climate outreach methods and their effectiveness.
- Participated in lobbying efforts on Oregon Climate Action Day (June 2013).
Researcher, GEOS Institute, Jan – Dec 2012
- Researched the impacts of climate change on the Rogue Basin in Oregon.
- Researched and recommended potential organizational partnerships.
Secretary, JoCo Renewable Energy Task Force, Dec 2008 – June 2009
Josephine County Renewable Energy Task Force (RETF) is a citizen task force which partnered with city and county officials to promote and encourage renewable energy within the region. This was a revitalization effort with a heavy emphasis on small business development.
- Organized meetings by adding structure, including formal agenda, motions, etc.
- Contributed to discussion at general meetings and within in solar subgroup
- Responsible for taking meeting minutes and disseminating to task force members.
- Facilitated effective communications among members and subcommittees.
Intern, Sen. Ron Wyden, D-OR, regional office for Southern Oregon, Jan – Oct 2008
- Responsible for sorting and drafting responses to constituent mail.
- Researched various policy issues, including forestry, a liquid natural gas pipeline, free lunch programs.
- Monitored media in five county regions for key topics. Summarized relevant coverage.
Education & Credentials
Certified Climate Reality Leader, Climate Reality Leadership Corps, March 2017
The Evergreen State College: Master’s of Environmental Studies – August 2016
Coursework: Environmental policy; Environmental education; Washington state fiscal policy; Climate change science, education, and policy
Thesis: Climate Change Education in the United States: An analysis of climate science inclusion in K-12 state science standards
Southern Oregon University: B.Sc., Cum Laude, Environmental Studies & Biology – June 2014
Capstone: Climate change communication methods in the Rogue Valley of Southern Oregon.
Recognitions & Awards
- Volunteer of the Quarter, Q2 2015, LOTT WET Science Center, Olympia, WA
- “Above and Beyond” Achievement Award, May 2014, Environmental Studies Department, Southern Oregon University
- John Muir Memorial Service Award, May 2013, Environmental Studies Department, Southern Oregon University